Forum > General Corrado chat > Lowering VR6

This topic counts 1 page 1
Byrd Byrd from Africa (Southern Africa) posted @ 18 February 2011 12:13:44
Database Noobie

17 Topic posts
Private message

1993 Corrado 2.9 VR6

Hello, I have a VR6 that needs lowering and have 2 questions before I do it. I live in South Africa and to get suspension kit here for a corrado is damn expensive- would anyone recommend taking the springs to a company who would heat them up and reset them to the new height? There is a company in my town that does this so would be alot easier and affordable to do it this way. Second question is if I want to drop 40mm can I use the standard shocks, and do I drop it 40 in the front and back......front already seems very low? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I dont know how much longer I can look at my C in 4x4 mode!! Thanks, Byrd

Tornado Tornado from Cyprus (Cyprus) posted @ 18 February 2011 17:04:27
Database Addict

517 Topic posts
Private message

1990 Corrado 1.8 G60

For heavens sake don't do what you describe about heating up your springs The proper way to lower your car is either coilovers or suspension kit. Come on man, they aren't that expensive...but you want to invest quality coilovers/suspension on your beautiful 'Rado, now don't you? Leave the cut springs etc for the Honda guys,lol If you are looking for budget coilovers/suspension (which I don't recommend btw) you can find both relatively cheap on ebay too

Byrd Byrd from Africa (Southern Africa) posted @ 21 February 2011 13:50:12
Database Noobie

17 Topic posts
Private message

1993 Corrado 2.9 VR6

Ok Tornado, you are right! I will wait until I have the cash for a Weitech suspension kit- dont think I require the coilovers. Thanks my man.

FDSexpress FDSexpress from Germany (Baden-Württemberg) posted @ 22 February 2011 11:31:40
Database Noobie

29 Topic posts
Private message

1992 Corrado 2.9 VR6

Hello to SA!
How are you? Still everything's fine there?

If you want to know how "deep" 40mm are: look my pics! It's a KW 40/40.
Never do stupid things with your suspension ... you'll regret it!

Weitec / KW / ... is not too expensive i think.

Perhaps I can help you?

Cheers,
Benjamin

Never stop Corr-riding ...!

Byrd Byrd from Africa (Southern Africa) posted @ 22 February 2011 22:34:19
Database Noobie

17 Topic posts
Private message

1993 Corrado 2.9 VR6

Ahoy Benjamin, I knew I would bump into you here!!! Yeah things are going well in SA my man. When are you coming back again? Suspension wise, I think your car looks perfect, even the wheels, it looks good. I think this is the route I will take- 40/40 and can you use original shocks/ dampers? After doing some research, you are 100% correct- i would rather invest in a proper suspension set up- just cant look at my "4x4" Corrado anymore- driving me nuts! Regards, J

Tornado Tornado from Cyprus (Cyprus) posted @ 23 February 2011 16:43:25
Database Addict

517 Topic posts
Private message

1990 Corrado 1.8 G60

If it was me, I wouldn't just put lowering springs in a Corrado but upgrade the shock absorbers too. Corrados on just lowering springs tend to ride like sh!t especially with bigger rims like in your case. Koni make very quality lowering kits (shocks & springs) but Weitec has some cheaper nice sets too

FDSexpress FDSexpress from Germany (Baden-Württemberg) posted @ 24 February 2011 12:45:51
Database Noobie

29 Topic posts
Private message

1992 Corrado 2.9 VR6

I'm waitin' for a message from the woman, I've sent my CV! Could be I'll come back soon .. so I can bring you your lowering kit ;-)
I don't know .. we'll see. This time, it's my only wish: to come back down there.

Tornado is definitly right: my opinion is that every car rides like shit if you lower it only by springs without changin' the dampers too!

If you want to, I can get more information about the price of a weitec 40/40 or anything else ... and the shipping to SA - if it's less expensive for you then.
I can recommend weitec => i've got a 50/50 in my golf4 and it's good enought for daily driving

Regards,
Benjamin

Byrd Byrd from Africa (Southern Africa) posted @ 24 February 2011 20:31:52
Database Noobie

17 Topic posts
Private message

1993 Corrado 2.9 VR6

Nice One, thanks Benjamin. I will be in touch via email. Speak soon, regards Jason

16v_DUB 16v_DUB from Romania (Muntenia) posted @ 8 March 2011 11:50:51
Database Noobie

22 Topic posts
Private message

1992 Corrado 20VT

u can go cheaper with Raceland coilovers, and you can lower it as much as u need. in this low-budget zone, raceland is the best choise, above ta-technix, fk, jom etc. a lot of guys in my country are using racelands on their cars and they ar very satisfied about them. i asked a dealer here about the price for a corrado set and it's 240 euros. and i am pretty sure u cand find them on ebay even cheaper. anyway, forget about your first intention to modify the springs and shit. best of luck buddy!

Tornado Tornado from Cyprus (Cyprus) posted @ 8 March 2011 17:41:14
Database Addict

517 Topic posts
Private message

1990 Corrado 1.8 G60

^^ Sorry but this is wrong The budget coilovers are all made in the same factory somewhere in Asia and just paint them differenet colours and put different stickers to each brand. JOM, Raceland, TA-Technix, Rokkor, etc are all the same sh!t

16v_DUB 16v_DUB from Romania (Muntenia) posted @ 8 March 2011 18:12:27
Database Noobie

22 Topic posts
Private message

1992 Corrado 20VT

not sure about this. racelands ar softer then fk and ta-technix. and i have a friend that had both raceland and ta-technix and he told me there's a big difference of comfort and even quality, ta-technix started to leak after 6 months, and he's riding raceland now for more than a year and he is very satisfied about it, and the ride is much more comfortable. so there is differences between those. what i'm saying is, the best thing to do is to go weitec, kw, koni etc. but if we are talking about low budget, i think raceland is the best choise in that case.

Tornado Tornado from Cyprus (Cyprus) posted @ 8 March 2011 18:21:50
Database Addict

517 Topic posts
Private message

1990 Corrado 1.8 G60

^^ I wish I could reveal you more...
Anyway, I've had my JOM coilovers for 4+ years and I have no problems at all to report (but I don't daily drive my Corrado). For the price, I can't complain but for my MK1 project I bought KW V2 coilovers

Byrd Byrd from Africa (Southern Africa) posted @ 13 March 2011 19:10:31
Database Noobie

17 Topic posts
Private message

1993 Corrado 2.9 VR6

HI Guys, Thanks for this advice. I am going to go for Weitec 40mm lowering kit. It sounds like reasonable quality and I am not racing or showing my car anywhere here. Money is not the problem- problem is too many cars!! I have my C, my 67 bus, and a T5 crew bus. Put this together with 3 young boys and not much money left over for top of the range Coilovers!! I think I am luckiest guy alive - I have my favourite watercooled VW EVER, and I have my favourite aircooled VW EVER........and then T5 for carting the family around!!

FDSexpress FDSexpress from Germany (Baden-Württemberg) posted @ 15 March 2011 13:21:11
Database Noobie

29 Topic posts
Private message

1992 Corrado 2.9 VR6

Jason .. you have to be a luky guy

You have thrown away your renault? good desicision!

Byrd Byrd from Africa (Southern Africa) posted @ 17 March 2011 19:51:35
Database Noobie

17 Topic posts
Private message

1993 Corrado 2.9 VR6

Benjamin, I nearly had to throw it away because no one wanted it!! I have got Awesome Transporter BiTdi for long surf trips when you are back here in South Africa! YOu sold them lights yet? Regards, Jason

This topic counts 1 page 1