Forum > General Corrado chat > VIDEO/Throttle cutting in and out

This topic counts 1 page 1
TheSignguy TheSignguy from U.S.A. (Missouri) posted @ 20 September 2008 18:13:54
Database Noobie

1 Topic posts
Private message

1992 Corrado 2.8 VR6 SLC

92 VR6 92,000
I bought the car with this problem, fixed other problems and now I'm down to this head scratcher.
When accelerating in gear, it cuts in and out in a pattern: on for a second cuts out for a split second, on for a second cuts out for a split second, so on. Until you let of the gas and rev it up a few times, when you change gears it usually continues. Unless you get to 3rd or 4th while going 25 mph. It does this 30% of the time. The other 70% of the time it runs fine. If it happens you know it right away. If you get in a gear and accelerate and it doesn't do it at first it runs fine. If you are on the highway at normal speed it doesn't happen.
I posted this problem before and was told to change the "ecm relay 109" because of the heavily modified electrical situation for a previous stereo system that will not be returning now I own the car. I did change this and the problem still exist. The dealer wanted to change the wires, plugs, roter, and cap. They also said they didnt know this would fix it. The cap and wires I know are new, the plugs should be changed but thats not the reason. Please anyone?
Hard to film and drive while car is jerking, sorry for shotty video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38n4MPxVgoo

DeMeert DeMeert from Belgium (Vlaams-Brabant) posted @ 22 September 2008 20:10:26
Database Noobie

45 Topic posts
Private message

1994 Corrado 2.0i 16V
1993 Corrado 2.9 VR6
1992 Corrado 2.8 VR6 SLC

well, change the spark plugs if they need to be renewed anyway, and check the injectors...

MacFly MacFly from Netherlands (Noord-Brabant) posted @ 23 September 2008 01:09:00
Database Semi-Pro

148 Topic posts
Private message

1993 Corrado 2.9 VR6

Hi Signguy (Brian),

It could have something to do with the air intake. I have had a problem with a hose (see picture below) and as a result the engine also behaved jumpy or wouldn't run idle. This hose contains a sponge like surrounding that was deteriorated and pieces got stuck in the hose that obstructed the airflow. You could check that when the engine runs in a unnatural manner by slightly disconnecting that hose (be careful for any dirt or dust that could be sucked in the hose) and see what happens.
You also could check your cold air intake. Is that a kind of power rohr? Perhaps that is where the problem starts. It could be that the air filter is very dirty that also could disturb the clean airflow. Good luck. Greetz Johan

MacFly MacFly from Netherlands (Noord-Brabant) posted @ 1 October 2008 20:21:55
Database Semi-Pro

148 Topic posts
Private message

1993 Corrado 2.9 VR6

Hi Signguy,

Do you already know what seems to be the problem with your Corrado. The hose I discribed helds the idle speed control (ISC) valve, but there could also be a malfunction throttle position sensor (this positioned at the entrance - near the engine - of the intake air boot). Good luck.

Greetz Johan

OnecleanwhiteG60 OnecleanwhiteG60 from U.S.A. (Alabama) posted @ 1 October 2008 22:13:31
Database Noobie

5 Topic posts
Private message

1989 Corrado 1.8 G60

Hey Signguy,
You mentioned you replaced the plug wires and dist. cap. Did you replace the rotor too but forget to mention it here? Also, to compliment McFly, have you checked the oxygen sensor and the air mass sensor? Those could be culprits too. Finally, a big one could be the ECU itself. I had a similar problem with my car too. As it turns out, I ended up having to replace my ECU. At one time I was unaware that it somehow experienced a power surge and was "slightly fried" in the process. It just took a few years to completely go out. I dismissed the warning signs as just moisture that seeped into the cap and rotor after cleaning the engine bay. It never really became worse until I added the HPII kit (for G-60) (smaller pulley, fuel enrichment solenoid, etc). Then the ECU just went out and the car was dead. Later I pulled the old ECU apart and part of the circuit boards were charred. The problem has never returned since.
I hope this helps you. Robert

This topic counts 1 page 1